free counter with statistics Frequently Asked Questions

  • How do I obtain a library card?
      A library card may be obtained by presenting your current I.D. to the circulation 
      desk personnel in the Library.
  • I've lost my library card! Is there a charge to replace it?
      There is a $5.00 charge to replace cards.
  • I'm an SPS student. What library privileges do I have?
      SPS students have the same borrowing privileges as any other student.
  • I live in the Cloverdale community. May I use your library?
      The community may use the Library, but to check out materials a $50 yearly fee is charged.  
      This fee allows anyone in the same household to use the card.
  • I'm a LAMP student. How do I get a library card and what privileges do I have?
      Lamp Students may obtain a card from the circulation desk by providing an I.D. and
      completing an application form.  You will be allowed to check out five books at any
      given time.
  • I'm an alum. Do I still have library privileges?
      Yes, you will need to bring in your old library card and have it updated to alum status.
  • What services does the Library provide for the disabled?
      For those in a wheelchair or otherwise find it difficult to negotiate steps and stairs, the
      Library provides a ramp entrance, located at the Smith parking lot side of the building.  Once
      inside the Library, there is a service elevator providing access to the second floor.  As for
      the old multi-tiered stack level (built in the late 1920s), assistance from library faculty
      and staff is provided for retrieving books from this area.  Only the first and second levels
      are accessible via wheelchair and that access is very limited due to the width of the built-in
      shelf ranges.
      At the main computer station on the first floor of the Library there is a station provided at
      a height conducive to wheelchairs or otherwise sitting.
  • How can I obtain an Alabama Virtual Library (AVL) card?
      For Huntingdon faculty, students and staff, a virtual library card may be obtained by applying
      for one with the Head of Circulation or, if you are a resident of Alabama, from your local
      public library.
  • I'm a Huntingdon student. How many items may I check out at one time?
      10 books, 2 AV items.
  • When are books due?
      Books are due in 4 weeks from date of check out. 
  • When are AV items due?
      AV items may be borrowed for 3 days.  Videos and dvds must be returned inside the Library,
      not the bookdrop.
  • How do I renew items online?
      To renew items online go to Library's Homepage and click on 'your library account'.  Type
      in your library card number with no spaces and a screen will appear showing materials you 
      have, then press the renew button.  This may only be done once and only if materials are not 
  • What is the late charge for books?
      $.25 per day/book
  • What is the late charge for AV items?
      $1.00 per day per item fine, $1.00 fine per item for placing in the book drop.
  • How much do you charge for photocopies (microfiche/film copies)?
      $.10 per page.
  • Is there a way I can check books out of other local libraries?
      Books may be checked out from ASU, AUM, TSUM, Faulkner University and Alabama Public Library
      Service by obtaining a consortium sticker at our library's circulation desk.  You will need 
      a current Huntingdon ID to obtain this sticker.  When using any of these libraries it is
      important to remember that you are under their policies and procedures, which may differ
      from those of our library.
  • What is an inter-library loan?
      Inter-library loaning is the process by which libraries, on behalf of a user (i.e. student,
      faculty member, staff member), can borrow materials from other libraries located in the U.S.
      or abroad.  There are certain policies that must be followed and there may be a cost to the 
      student, depending upon whether the lending library charges for the loan.  This charge may be
      a loan fee for a book or the printing fee for a copy of a journal article.   Contact Mrs.
      Nordis Smith for further information and assistance at Ext. 4537 or
  • I found a citation for a book/article I'd like to read. How can I get a copy?
      Contact Mrs. Nordis Smith, our Inter-Library Loan (ILL) and Reference librarian at Ext. 4537
  • How much does an Inter Library Loan (ILL) cost?
      There is no charge for ILL items obtained from most Alabama libraries.  Costs for items
      obtained outside of Alabama vary.  You should be prepared to tell Mrs. Smith how much you're
      willing to pay for an item when you make the ILL request.
  • What is "Countess"?
      Countess is the name of our library's online catalogue, and is named after Selina, Countess
      of Huntingdon from whom the College took its new name in 1936, when it became co-educational. 
      (See A History of Huntingdon College, 1854-1954 by Rhoda Coleman Ellison, University of
      Alabama Press, 1954)
  • Is there a charge for printing items from the library computers (i.e., Word documents, Internet articles, etc.)
      Currently, there is no charge for printing your documents or internet copies, but if a large
      number of copies are printed, donations to the fund for paper and ink cartridges are always
      appreciated!  We ask that users limited the number of copies made and avoid making unnecessary
  • Who are the Patrons of the Library? May I join?
      Founded in 1972, the Patrons of the Library is a community support group - called a friends 
      group in the library profession - that who through membership dues and donations help support
      the Library of Huntingdon College.  For further information contact Mrs. JoŽl Godfrey, Library
      administrative assistant at Ext. 4512 or
  • What if I lose/damage a book/video?
      For lost or damaged items, we charge the actual cost of the item plus an additional proces-
      sing fee.  Please bear in mind that due to copyright restrictions, the cost of an item to
      the library is frequently greater than the cost an individual pays for the same item.
  • I have a lot of late fees, but can't afford to pay them! What should I do?
      We are usually able to work a payment plan or payment in kind for overdue, lost or damaged
      items.  Contact Mrs. Margaret Kinney, Head of Circulation at Ext. 4422 or 
  • I live off campus. Is there a way to use the electronic databases from home?
      Yes, but you must be an authorized Huntingdon Library user (student, faculty, staff). From
      the Library's homepage, click on Databases.  A login screen will appear.  Enter your library
      card number and last name.  
      Once you login, you can move from one database to another without having to login again
      for that session.  NB:  Your browser must be set to accept cookies in order to access the
  • Who do I see about problems accessing the library website/electronic resources from my dorm room/home?
      Mrs. Brenda Kerwin is the Systems Librarian and may be reached at Ext. 4529 or at 
  • What is the Library's policy on food, drinks, smoking and cell phone use?
      Generally, food, beverages and tobacco products are not permitted in the building.  However,
      exceptions may be made with regard to food and beverages when a special college event is held
      in the atrium.  
      Cell phones may be used as long as use does not disturb others in the building; we do ask
      however that the ringer be turned down.  For cell phone use that is prolonged and requires
      a normal speaking voice, you should step outside of the building, or if available, make use
      of the Library's seminar/conference room. 
  • How do I reserve the Library's seminar/conference room?
      The Library's seminar or conference room, which will seat approximately a dozen people, can
      be reserved by students, faculty and staff by contacting Mrs. JoŽl Godfrey, Library adminis-
      trative assistant at Ext. 4512 or  The room is available for group
      study, class meetings, or other college-related group meetings. 
  • Can students make suggestions for books, periodicals and videos/dvds to be added to the library collections?
      Yes, students may suggest titles of books, periodicals, videos/dvds and even electronic data-
      bases for consideration as additions to the collections.  Contact Mrs. JoŽl Godfrey, Library
      administrative assistant at Ext. 4512 or
  • May I use my laptop in the library?
      You are welcome to bring your own laptop to use in the library. However, you should be aware
      that electrical outlets are limited so you would need to have your laptop charged.
  • Is there wireless access in the library?
      Yes, the entire library.
  • Who are all those people in the portraits hanging in the Library?
      A number of the portraits hanging around the Library's balcony are former Huntingdon
      presidents.  Some are former members of the board of trustees from the early years of the
      College.  There are a few others here and throughout the original library building for which
      we have no identification, but assume they are nonetheless important contributors to
      Huntingdon College's history.
  • Who is "Frank"?
      In relation to the Library, Frank is the name of the library ghost.  For many years our ghost
      was anonymous but then eight or so years ago one of our students decided he (we've always
      known he was a he) needed a name and offered "Frank."  Several people over the years have
      experienced Frank's presence and we are happy to report they are still doing well in life.
      He hasn't shown himself to be a destructive spirit, we only wish at times he would help with
      putting books on the shelf (as opposed to removing them, something he's been know to do).
  • What are the Archives?
      The Library jointly houses the archives and special collections of the College as well as the
      Alabama-West Florida Conference of the United Methodist Church.  Though housed in the library
      building, the Archives are administered as a separate unit and don't maintain the same hours
      of operation as the Library.  To use the Archives, contact Mrs. Mary Ann Pickard (Ext. 4413, who is the certified archivist, or her assistant Sharon Tucker
      (Ext. 4418,  
  • What will I find in the Archives?
      In the Methodist archives you will find archival information on the Alabama-West Florida
      Conference of the United Methodist Church, as well as some special collections.  The Methodist
      archives are probably most heavily used for genealogical work.
      In the College's archives and special collections, you will find information on the history of
      Huntingdon, including when it began in Tuskegee in 1854, as well as college-related artifacts,
      copies of the college annual Bells & Pomegranates, the campus newspaper The Gargoyle (earlier
      known as The Huntress) and the college literary magazine The Prelude.
      The special collections contain rare and autographed books.  Items in the archives and special
      collections do not circulate and must be used within the archives room.
  • What is the difference between a periodical, a magazine, and a journal?
      A periodical is a document published on a regular, predictable schedule (though in the case of
      some titles, just how regular and how predictable some librarians would question).  Some
      periodicals are daily; some weekly, some biweekly, some quarterly, or perhaps are annually.
      The term "serial" is frequently used interchangeably with "periodical", though in the library
      profession these terms are generally considered to have subtle distinctions.
      A magazine is a periodical that has a popular or general audience, whereas a journal is a
      periodical that has as its audience the scholarly community.  Your academic research will
      utilize journals much more often than magazines.  Time, Newsweek, Sports Illustrated,
      RollingStone, People, Reader's Digest, Architectural Digest, O are all examples of magazines.
      While normally, a periodical that has the word "journal" in it's title is indeed a journal,
      this like most rules has its exceptions - Ladies Home Journal is a magazine, not a journal.
      Some examples of journals would be Science, American Journal of Psychology, the Journal of
      Academic Librarianship, Modern Fiction Studies, Shakespeare Quarterly, the Journal of Music
      Theory and the Journal of Popular Film and Television.
  • How can I get help with my research assignment?
      The library faculty is available to students for point-of-service assistance (meaning help
      at the reference desk for quick questions) and is also available for more in-depth research
      assistance.  If you feel at a loss of where to begin your research assignment and/or have
      very little experience in doing research, you are encouraged to make an appointment with a
      librarian so more one-on-one time can be scheduled to get you pointed in the right direction.  
      The Library also offers a 3-credit hour elective course called Library Research Methods 111.
      Particularly if you have plans to attend graduate or professional school, you should consider
      taking advantage of this course during your time at Huntingdon.  It's an excellent preparation.
  • If a book I need is checked-out, why can't you tell me who has it? Maybe it's someone I know and I can just borrow it from them?
      The Library's circulation records are confidential; privacy law, not to mention professional
      ethics, requires that we take all reasonable precautions to ensure your privacy with regard to
      your reading habits.  Therefore, even though a close friend of yours may have checked out the
      book you need, we cannot divulge that information to you.  However, what we can do is either
      place a hold on the book so you will be notified when it is returned to the Library, or we can
      contact the person who has it and request that they return it early.
  • You guys have such cool jobs! How can I become a librarian?
      Read more about how to become a librarian here.